Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

AOL's Breaking News

kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!!Posts: 7,439 mod
edited January 11 in In the News
This thread includes all the breaking news shared by American On Line to netizens.
Post edited by kindgnice on
Tagged:

Comments

• kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,439 mod
    edited January 11
    HOP2wx8.png">

Are we living in @!~* Germany?': Trump blasts leaked report about Russia compromising him

President-elect Donald Trump responded to reports on Russian claims to have compromising intelligence on him, writing on Twitter Wednesday morning, "Russia has never tried to use leverage over me."

"I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA," Trump wrote. "NO DEALS, NO LOANS, NO NOTHING!"

Trump was responding to a story first reported by CNN that said US intelligence officials told President Barack Obama and Trump in classified briefings last week that Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information on the president-elect. BuzzFeed later released the complete dossier compiled by an ex-British foreign intelligence officer detailing the alleged Russian intelligence.

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭✭
    @kindgnice
    Nice thread, kindgnice. It'd be even more helpful if it had a link to the original article.

By the way, what does it mean by "compromising info"? I looked it up in the dictionary, but I couldn't quite get it. Does it mean that this info forces Trump to make a compromise on some issues or statements he's been making?
    Here's one related report from CNN.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politics/donald-trump-news-conference-fact-check/index.html

No wonder he wants to shut down CNN.
    edited January 12

@kindgnice

Nice thread, kindgnice. It'd be even more helpful if it had a link to the original article.

By the way, what does it mean by "compromising info"? I looked it up in the dictionary, but I couldn't quite get it. Does it mean that this info forces Trump to make a compromise on some issues or statements he's been making?

Here's the link for that news.
    http://www.aol.com/article/2017/01/11/are-we-living-in-@!~*-germany-trump-blasts-leaked-report-abo/21652665/

There were allegations between Trump campaign officials and Russian intelligence, sharing extremely sensitive information such as personal and financial information of the president-elect Trump. Another allegation found that Russians have video footage of Trump watching sex workers engage in a sex act.

As of the moment, these info were not yet verified, however, U.S. and Europe have been investigating these various alleged facts.

edited January 12

http://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2017/01/08/golden-globes-la-la-land-breaks-record-for-most-wins-by-a-fil/21650588/

Golden Globes: 'La La Land' breaks record for most wins by a film

La La Land hit all the high notes during the Golden Globes, taking home seven awards — a new record.

The Lionsgate title beat the previous record for most Golden Globes won by a single film. Prior to Sunday, that achievement was shared by the 1975 release One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and the 1978 movie Midnight Express, with six wins apiece.

Obama Thanks Joe Biden During His Emotional Final Speech As President

Obama said: "To Joe Biden, the scrappy kid from Scranton who became Delaware’s favorite son: you were the first choice I made as a nominee, and the best. Not just because you have been a great Vice President, but because in the bargain, I gained a brother. We love you and Jill like family, and your friendship has been one of the great joys of our life."

http://www.aol.co.uk/video/obama-thanks-joe-biden-during-his-emotional-final-speech-as-president-5875a12a134aa14ece71294f/
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    How are American people assessing the Obama presidency after all? He seems to be an honorable person to me, largely due to his emotional speeches (no need to compare with the next guy's speeches). But I don't really know about what he has actually done.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,502 mod
    He's managed to get America back on its feet and unemployment is the lowest it's been for a long time @Yellowtail. Critics argue that he has dropped more bombs than many of his predecessors in his eight years though.
    @mheredge
    I see. I remember that his inauguration was in the middle of the subprime mortgage crisis. But I'm not sure how much the economy can be attributed to the president. There seems to be a lot of factors out of his control.
    @takafromtokyo: If you weren't able to view the link, it's because the word @!~* is decrypted as @!~*. You may visit the link by replacing the @!~* by these letters: N A Z I.

Hope it helps. ;)

DOJ watchdog investigating FBI decisions in Clinton email probe

A U.S. government watchdog said on Thursday it would examine whether the Federal Bureau of Investigation followed proper procedures in its probe of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server.

The inspector general's announcement comes amid outcry from Democrats who say Clinton's loss to President-elect Donald Trump was in part due to Comey's bringing Clinton's emails back into the public spotlight less than two weeks before the 2016 election.

See more at: http://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/01/12/doj-watchdog-investigating-fbi-clinton-email-probe/21653803/
    @takafromtokyo
    Thank you. But the article made me more confused. All it told me was there are a lot of points of view after all.

@kindgnice
    A comment on the article says "Comey was just a Puppet for Obama". What does it mean? Not only this, I have heard sometimes people said like that Obama is reluctant to support Clinton. Is it the fact?
    @Yellowtail
    Sure. I wanted to show you there are a lot of different views on what he accomplished. If you ask me, I think his biggest and most valuable legacy is visiting Hiroshima as the president of US.

@kindgnice

A comment on the article says "Comey was just a Puppet for Obama". What does it mean? Not only this, I have heard sometimes people said like that Obama is reluctant to support Clinton. Is it the fact?

@Yellowtail Based from what you've heard, I think they're saying that Comey is subservient or obsequious to Obama. I am not sure though if Obama is reluctant to Clinton, but there was a news published that he persuaded her to concede during the presidential elections that left a bad taste in Clinton's mouth.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/307536-obama-urged-clinton-to-concede-on-election-night
    0Qq64sJl.jpg

Two astronauts will venture outside the protective confines of the International Space Station on Friday to work on an important power supply upgrade.
    NASA astronaut Shane Kimbrough and French astronaut Thomas Pesquet of the European Space Agency are scheduled to spend a little more than six hours installing new lithium-ion batteries and adapter plates, which you can follow along via the video above.
    The spacewalk is Kimbrough's fourth and Pesquet's first, according to Space.
    Pesquet tweeted about his excitement for his first spacewalk the night before, sharing a picture of the truss he'll be working along.
    He also shared the music he was listening to as he pumped himself up for the big walk.
    Kimbrough, who has already had the adventure of a spacewalk, didn't tweet any anticipatory messages, but he is a prolific photographer. He's snapped dozens of shots of cities and other majestic sights on Earth from the ISS -- from New York City just this week to the Holy Land.

http://www.aol.com/article/2017/01/13/watch-live-astronauts-spacewalk-to-upgrade-international-space-station-power/21654393/
    @takafromtokyo
    Yeah, especially the moment Obama talked to and hugged the Hiroshima survivors was really touching.

@kindgnice
    The article is interesting. That graphically depicts the last-ditch fight on whether they should ask for the recounting the votes. But I think Obama's letting Clinton(and her allies) give up was just a natural dicision. Clinging to the hope too long would fall into disgrace with people. Also, according to the article, recounting costs much money, and the party can't afford to pay for such a frivolous thing.
    @Yellowtail @kindgnice
    It's a bit weird that there might be someone walking in the space real high. The day is coming close where people who are not a professional astronaut will be traveling the space.
    It' an amazing spacewalk! They now seem to have already finished it. The two astronauts both uploaded their space selfies on Twitter!
    One interesting thing about ISS is it doesn't fall to the earth, even though it floats near the earth enough to be affected by the gravity. It's explained by the inertia, where the gravity and the force ISS wants to go straight away from the earth are balanced. And it also applies to the astronauts outside ISS.
    @Yellowtail
    Hats off to all those people who contributed to get ISS on the orbit. Must've required a whole lot of work to get it done. It just shows us how much we human beings can accomplish with combined forces. Together is always better than one.
    A 11-year-old boy shaved his head to support his grandfather who is suffering from cancer. But his classmates made fun of him for his bald head. Knowing the situation, the principal of the school made a decision. He had the boy shave his own head in front of all the students, to show he supports what the boy had done. What an awesome lesson!

http://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/01/16/after-11-year-old-boy-is-teased-over-his-bald-head-principal-in/21656077/
    @Yellowtail
    This is a great news. It reminds us all that human beings aren't so doomed yet. It really gives me hope. I wish Trump would learn something from the boy and the Principal.
    @takafromtokyo
    I hope Trump grows his beard to support Muslims in his country. ;)

@Yellowtail @kindgnice

It's a bit weird that there might be someone walking in the space real high. The day is coming close where people who are not a professional astronaut will be traveling the space.

I wonder if we can live in Mars soon? :lol:
    @kindgnice
    Actually, there's already a selection for the first team of settlers in Mars going on now. I heard the first team is going to leave our planet by 2027 or something like that.
    This one is not from AOL, but still, I want to hear opinions on this incident.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/26/511806548/mexicos-president-cancels-planned-d-c-trip-to-meet-with-trump

What do you think of the Mexican President's decision?
    edited January 27
    @takafromtokyo @kindgnice
    As a person from an island country (so are you two, I think), I don't really understand what borders are like. In fact, when I heard for the first time Trump mentioning the wall, I even thought he said it as a metaphor, rather than a physical wall. So I have no clue about if Mexico should pay for the wall construction. It's the wall America wants to build, but it's mainly because of Mexican illigal immigrants, hmm...
    @Yellowtail
    Yes, I think the border issues are definitely something that should be taken care of. But I have a simple question; is it really possible for a country to order other countries to pay for something that it did 100% on its own? Or has Mexico been a part of this project to begin with, which we simply haven't been informed about?

Speaking of the Mexican president's cancellation, I think he did a right thing. I wonder if our Prime Minister has that kind of a gut.

This discussion has been closed.