Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

@yevhen's texts

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 9,830 mod
@Yevhen ,

You can write your texts here.
Have fun! :)
Tagged:

Comments

• YevhenYevhen Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Thank you @april for your time and help. I do appreciate this :)

One friend of mine works in an it-company that requires English and hires English teachers to help their employees to improve it. He passed a test some time ago. Of course detailed results were reported to chiefs and those who are interested in that. But my friend is a curious one and asked about them. Here is a short answer he was given:

"Hello - some aspects of English changed for better (according to the test) but some didn’t :(
    Generally - slight upgrade took place."

I don't want to judge anyone especially English teachers in informal messages but as far as I know there are some mistakes. Here my concerns:
    1. "change for the better" is an idiom so the definite article "the" is missed.
    2. "a slight upgrade". I searched a word "upgrade" and found out that it is countable and has both singular and plural forms. It seems the indefinite article "a" must have been used.
    3*. Using dashes. I am not familiar with this topic yet but my gut tells me that a dash is used in situations where it is not needed or at least can be omitted.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,830 mod
    @GemmaRowlands?
    What do you think of @Yevhen writing and questions? :)
    , @GemmaRowlands .
    @Yevhen , I"ve posted your text in the category A Question of English.
    Maybe that's the better place for your questions. :)
    Thank you @april , you're very generous ;)
    You still could write another story here and get it corrected, @Yevhen . :)
    edited November 2016
    Hi @april . Finally I've got something to be put down here. I tried my best and the writing took two hours and a half. I am still slow :)

A friend of mine I’ll call VGrey works in a company that is looking for new employees now told me he was asked by our mutual group mate I’ll call HmAssemble to introduce him as a potential candidate. Of course he gladly agreed to help.

At present HmAssemble successfully passed 2 of 3 stages of interviewing. The last one is about English. Who would doubt that nowadays?

I’ve got a message from VGrey today in which he informed me that HmAssemble called him and took an interest in possible questions he may be asked during the test of spoken English. To tell the truth this made me smile.

I can still remember the time when I had my first English interview. At that moment all my language skills including knowledge of grammar were weak. In order to prepare for the test I questioned myself trying to assume possible ways a conversation with an English teacher could take place. Almost the same happened when we were students and had exams. Inquiring of mates who have already passed an exam about asked questions was a usual student habit that was often caused by ignorance or poor understanding of theme.

Returning to the thing which amused me I must admit it also got me thinking of being a probable and having a similar situation. Would I ask such questions hoping to cheat an interviewer?

Speaking for myself I would not. I would not think in terms of questions or possible topics. Since I had my first interview I have improved my English. My speaking and a lot of other aspects are still desired to be better but being even on the current level allows me not to think about such cheats. In any case an interviewer will dig deeper and deeper by changing topics as often as it is needed to reach your real proficiency.

What about you guys? Most of you are English learners. I guess at least some of you were in such situations. Were your thoughts changed as your English got better? What do you think?

-----------------

A friend of mine, I’ll call him VGrey, works in a company that is looking for new employees. He told me he was asked by a mutual friend, I’ll call HmAssemble, to introduce him as a potential candidate. Of course he gladly agreed to help.

At present HmAssemble has successfully passed 2 out of 3 stages of interviews. The last one is about English. Who would doubt that nowadays?

I got a message from VGrey today in which he informed me that HmAssemble had called him and expressed an interest in the questions he may be asked during the spoken English test. To tell the truth this made me smile.

I can still remember the time when I had my first English interview. At that moment all my language skills, including my knowledge of grammar, were weak. In order to prepare for the test I questioned myself, trying to imagine all the possible ways a conversation with an English teacher could go. Almost the same thing happened when we were students and had exams. Inquiring of mates who had already passed an exam about the questions was a common student habit, often caused by ignorance or poor understanding of the theme.

Returning to the thing which amused me; I must admit it also got me thinking about being in a similar situation. Would I ask such questions hoping to cheat an interview?

Speaking for myself I would not. I do not think in terms of questions or possible topics. Since I had my first interview I have improved my English. My speaking and a lot of other aspects could be better, but being at my current level allows me to not think about such cheats. In any case an interviewer will dig deeper and deeper by changing topics as often as needed to reach your real proficiency.

What about you guys? Most of you are English learners. I guess at least some of you have been in such situations. Did your thoughts change as your English got better?

What do you think?
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Great, @Yevhen .
    Hopefully @GemmaRowlands will have time to read your text soon. :)
    "Read whatever makes you feel happy"

I have already read "The Old Man and The Sea" and "Charlotte's web". I doubt if I ever like reading classic literature. It's cool to read well-designed sentences and pass them through your mind. But it is about any literature, not only classic.

I came up with an idea that one needs to be a fan of doing something to enjoy the actual process. What if you can't concentrate on unreal or partially real stories, and enjoy them due to priorities in your life and things to do? It will be wasting of time.

But what if you want to improve your personality, reboot mindset or develop a unique style of writing? No doubt, classic literature covers all these things and may have a significant effect on you. Reading requires a lot of hours spending on it. I do not believe in the diagonal method or others. They are likely for lazy ones or those who counts the number of books they read to brag about their achievements.

It would be wrong to say that I am obsessed about my career, but there is a moment when people need to learn something and get some skills "to take their place in the circle of life". It is no suitable matter for one to admire Santiago or Wilbur at that time. In this way, educational, technical or any other kind of literature might be helpful as well as classic. There are differences in a style of writing, and it is absolutely normal due to certain objectives. But ideas and sentences are often credible and flawless respectively.

We have been reading since we were taught to do it, all our life long. There is no need to restrict ourselves by thinking about reading as "reading classic literature". Our mind works in the way it is able to observe information unconsciously and naturally. Instead of perceiving only ideas, the human brain registers so-called meta-information and small details which become noticed and activated by a lot of repetitions. Here is the place for your favorite subject to read to come, isn't it?

I guess most of you saw posts in social media or heard one's dream to have a favorite book, a warm blanket and a cup of hot coffee/chocolate in cold winter evening to enjoy silence and reading. Maybe, someday I will be lucky to feel and see the harmony of that ritual.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭✭
    @Yevhen
    If you tell me to read anything that makes me happy, I'd want to read books on dinosaurs! With plenty of beautiful pictures!!

What would you want to take your time to read?
    Hi @takafromtokyo .

I should read technical literature to be able to do some things related to a job I want to apply for.

But I am afraid that reading classic literature has a big advantage. It might really widen a vocabulary, no matter passive or active, because our mind creates pictures/frame/illustrations to a story you read. A lot of new words are being tied to them and you are able to remember them when talk about similar or related topics.

I wonder if you agree :)

By the way, what does the symbol on you profile picture mean?
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭✭
    @Yevhen
    Reading things that you are not so familiar with would surely expose you to lots of new words that otherwise you wouldn't have come across. In this sense, I think reading a newspaper could be a good replacement to classic literature. The articles must've been written in an easy to understand yet sophisticated manner. The topics would range in different fields.

I think it's better to read paper newspapers when you do so. Reading news online would be biased by your interests.

My profile pic is a kanji character. 「和」means "harmony" or "peace". It represents a basic core value that forms the foundation of Japanese culture.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    @April, it looks like Gemma Rowlands doesn't descend to comment on whatever we ask.
    @Deucalion , maybe I didn't ask her nicely enough? :D
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,502 mod
    Reading anything that you find interesting helps improve your skills @Yevhen. The key is that it should interest you, as like you say, it requires a lot of time. Reading should be fun, not an ordeal!
    edited January 17
    A-a-h-a-a... I gotcha, @april! You are from that category of people who use to start examining their own possible mistakes first. :blush:
    Yes, @Deucalion I always blame myself. :D
    edited January 17
    In regard to such kind person as you are, @April, it is too unfair. :(